Travel assistance for Ukrainian Evacuees

Applying for a Disabled Persons Freedom Pass

If you live within one of the 33 London boroughs and have one of the following disabilities, you can apply for a Disabled Persons Freedom Pass.

  • People who are blind or partially sighted
  • People who are profoundly or severely deaf
  • People without speech
  • People who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left them with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
  • People who do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • People who have a learning disability that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'
  • People who, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, would have their application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

London boroughs may, at their discretion under exceptional circumstances, issue Freedom Passes to disabled people that do not meet one of the statutory eligibility criteria. For more information go to

If you believe you fulfil the eligible criteria and are entitled to a Disabled Persons Freedom Pass you need to contact the borough in which you reside for an application form. You can find a list of boroughs, their websites and telephone numbers by following this link

You will be asked to provide evidence of your eligibility and a colour passport sized photograph. Please refer to the borough's application form for guidance on what documents you must provide.

We recognise providing eligibility documents may be difficult and so would advise you to consult with the borough council in which you have settled and reside, whom can advise you on the alternative documents they would accept.