Disabled persons Freedom Pass eligibility

To be eligible for a disabled persons Freedom Pass:

  • Your sole or principal residence in London


  • Have any of the statutory disabilities listed in the Transport Act 2000.


Your London home needs to be your 'sole' or 'principal' residence, which means you live there the majority of the time. You need to be able to provide proof of where you live. Check what proof is acceptable

If you are not sure whether you live in a London borough, or are uncertain which borough you live in, enter your postcode into the postcode checker.

If you work or study in London, but do not live in London, you will not be eligible for a Freedom Pass.

If you move out of London you are no longer eligible for a Freedom Pass. You may be eligible for a concessionary fares pass from your new local authority, which will still allow you to travel free on Transport For London buses.

If you are under 18 and making a disabled persons Freedom Pass application, we understand you may find it difficult to prove your residency. If this applies to you please contact your local council who will be able to assist. You can find your local councils contact number here: https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/disabled-persons-freedom-pass/apply


The statutory disabilities which make someone eligible for a disabled persons Freedom Pass are:

1) People who are blind or partially sighted

2) People who are profoundly or severely deaf

3) People without speech

4) People who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left them with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk

5) People who do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms

6) People who have a learning disability that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'

7) People who, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, would have their application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

London boroughs may, at their discretion under exceptional circumstances, issue Freedom Passes to disabled people that do not meet one of the statutory eligibility criteria. For more information go to our discretionary Freedom Pass page

Find out how to apply


If you are the holder of a Disabled Person's Freedom Pass but your circumstances change, which mean you are no longer eligible for the scheme, your pass may be stopped before the card's expiry date.



Carers of someone with a disability are not eligible for a Freedom Pass.

A Freedom Pass holder who finds it too difficult to travel without assistance using public transport may be eligible for the Taxicard scheme, which is also managed by London Councils.

This service provides subsidised trips in licensed taxis and private hire vehicles for people with serious mobility problems.

Application forms are available by telephoning 020 7934 9791 or emailing Taxicard@londoncouncils.gov.uk


IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The 5 year expiry date on the Freedom Pass is the lifespan of the card chip, and is not how long someone is entitled to hold the pass for.  Therefore, if you no longer meet the eligibility criteria for the Freedom Pass you hold it can be stopped at any time.